Word Of The Day
Dorland's Word of the Day is a great way to broaden your knowledge of medical terminology. With a new and interesting term brought to you from the 32nd edition of Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary each day, it's an easy and fun way to increase your medical vocabulary!
You can view a new word on this website each day.
a activator of chloride channels of the apical membrane of the intestine that increases intestinal motility by stimulating the secretion of fluid into the lumen, used in the treatment of chronic idiopathic constipation in adults; administered orally.
Word of the Day Archive
1. the range of wavelength of incident light producing a response in some material under study, such as an enzyme to be inactivated by radiation. 2. a graph plotting the magnitude of this response as a function of the wavelength of the incident light.
infiltrating basal cell carcinoma
a type of basal cell carcinoma in which strands of basal cells infiltrate between collagen bundles of the subcutaneous tissue.
1. nail matrix: the tissue upon which the deep aspect of the nail rests; called also nail bed. 2. sometimes specifically the proximal portion of this structure, from which growth chiefly proceeds.
1. in taxonomy, a branch of a phylogenetic tree comprising all the organisms that share a particular common ancestor. 2. a group of organisms that share characteristics exclusive to the group members and distinguishing them from other organisms, such as genetic variants within a single species.
1. having, pertaining to, or resembling leaves. 2. consisting of thin, leaflike layers.
1. having both cosmetic benefits and pharmaceutical properties. 2. a compound having such effects.
polymorphic ventricular tachycardia
ventricular tachycardia whose beat-to-beat QRS configuration is constantly changing, sometimes subtly.